Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Gracious Heart

Last night's WIN was no ordinary event. Pastor shared on false teachings and warned of spiritual attacks coming on the church from the devil. The sharing was followed by a spiritual cleansing event where we broke into groups and did a spiritual walk throughout the whole church.


During the worship,the Lord impressed on me the word "Gracious". I knew that the Lord is gracious and compassionate, but I didn't see the connection. I look up the instances in the Bible where the word " gracious" was used and came across 1 Peter 2:1-3


Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious. ( NKJV )


Since we have tasted that the Lord Jesus is gracious, we ought to lay aside all the malice, deceit, hypocrisy, envy and all evil speaking ( or slander ) and crave after the word of God like new born babes, so that we may improve in grace and the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour. These sins, if left unchecked can both destroy our love and hinder the efficacy of the word, and consequently they prevent our regeneration.

My exhortation is that as we continue to grow deeper into His grace and taste his goodness in all his providences, we must take care to guard our hearts against those sins above so that the church could stand united and be lifted up, not divided and open to attacks from the evil one.

7 comments:

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jerry

Regarding false teachings, you may find this blog entry of interest...

http://rootss.blogspot.com/2007/02/who-is-not-against-jesus-is-for-jesus.html

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jerry

It's interesting that you mentioned about WIN night, because an ex-PLMC by the name of Jonathan made mention about it sometime in Feb 07 as well...

Jonathan wrote:
Hi, just want to comment on NCC which I attended for past 1yr. I have grown in a deeper relationship with Jesus & known the love of God in a deeper way that lead me out of my panic attacks. I have never been more passionate in my faith than when I was in my previous Methodist Ch in Boundary Road, when I served as a cell leader, worship leader, Boys Brigade & various committees. In fact the previous Methodist Pastor-in-charge tried to teach on the Blood Covenant (our blessings in Christ) but things never progressed after he moved on to greater calling in the Methodist organization here. Now the new pastors of that Methodist Ch said in a prayer meeting that "evil has entered the Church" after someone shared on taking holy communion in their cell groups (having learnt from NCC). Its funny cause the pastors have no idea many of their serving members are taking in spritual food from NCC. For me, I'm new wine and won't fit into the old wineskin anymore. Amen. Jonathan
19/2/07 9:59 PM

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jerry

Sorry to be so "lor sor" but I found another entry that is of relevance

http://rootss.blogspot.com/2007/04/can-it-be-cult-when-jesus-is-magnified.html

Jerry said...

Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for your comments. I have read your earlier blog entries. My intent for sharing this is that regardless of our beliefs, we should try to uphold the unity that we have in Christ and watch our hearts' intent. Whatever we do, it must not come to the point where people begin to take sides. Be watchful as it may become a stumbling block to others, especially the weaker ones.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jerry

Understand where you are coming from.

Say, which service do you attend?

You kinda look familiar but I don't think we've actually met each other in church before.

Is your son still attending NCC? Maybe he should give Pastor Reuben a chance.

If his first sermon is anything to go by, we will be able to receive similar food here in PLMC instead of having to eat elsewhere...

Jerry said...

I attends the 11.15am service. Your parents should know me as I am with the golfers group. You will find me having coffee with them between services.
My son is now in JC but is with NCC for the last 2 years.
Will try to catch you this sunday for a chat.

Malcolm Loh said...

Hi Jerry

OK, looking forward to meeting you this Sunday at the Fellowship Hall.

I suppose you were one of those who helped PLMC win the golf trophy after a super-long wait? At least it took a shorter time that the Israelites' wilderness experience :-)

Do check out my latest blog entry, entitled Sincere... but sincerely Wrong